Layered Citrus Beet and Freekeh Salad
This warm and hearty salad is bursting with flavour and colour. Freekeh wheat is a cracked young green wheat with a delicious nutty taste. It’s high in fibre and prebiotic properties with a low glycemic index. Substitute with quinoa or buckwheat for a gluten free option.
- 4 small assorted beets (red, yellow, and candy cane beets)
- ¾ cup (175 ml) freekeh wheat or cracked wheat
- ⅓ cup (75 ml) crumbled goat cheese
- ⅓ cup (75 ml) sliced kalamata olives
- ⅓ cup (75 ml) sliced green onion
- 4 cups (1 L) shredded beet leaves
- ¼ cup (60 ml) orange juice
- 3 tbsp. (45 ml) lemon juice
- 3 tbsp. (45 ml) olive oil
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) miso paste
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) grated ginger
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) finely minced garlic
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) orange zest
- ½ tsp (2 ml) red pepper flakes
Preheat oven to 400 °F (200 °C). Wrap like-coloured beets together in foil (red beet colour will bleed into the yellow and candy cane beets if wrapped together). Place beets in baking dish and roast for 45 minutes to one hour until a knife inserts easily into beet. Unwrap beets and let cool until cool enough to handle. Trim ends and remove skins easily by rubbing between your hands or scraping with the back of a knife. Slice beets into wedges.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine freekeh wheat with 1¼ cups (300 ml) water, bring to a boil, and reduce to simmer over low heat. Cook for 25 minutes, transfer to a medium, heat-proof bowl to cool. Toss in goat cheese, olives, and green onion.
To serve, arrange shredded beet leaves on a platter, spoon freekeh wheat mix in centre of platter, and top with beet wedges. Drizzle salad with vinaigrette.
For vinaigrette, whisk together orange juice, lemon juice, olive oil, miso, ginger, garlic, orange zest, and pepper flakes.
Tip: Kids can help to rub away skins from the beets once cool enough to handle. Use food-grade gloves for red beets, as they will stain hands.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
(1 serving, when recipe serves 6):
- Protein: 6 grams
- Fat: 11 grams
- Carbohydrate: 25 grams
- Calories: 215 kcal
- Fibre: 5 grams
- Sodium: 380 mg