Treat a Salad Like a Sundae!
Have you ever served a salad to a youngster, and it turns into a scavenger hunt picking out all the ingredients they dislike? Truth is, it’s tough to blame them when a meal item may contain several ingredients they’ve never even tried.
Here’s an idea: Prepare the ingredients ahead of time and pair them up. The only condition is that they include at least a choice from each pairing. Eating healthy is nonnegotiable; however, empowering children to make healthy choices benefits us all.
They may even surprise you with their creativity!
Here are a few suggestions:
- Romaine / Iceberg
- Carrots / Red, yellow, or orange peppers
- Cucumbers / Cherry tomatoes
- Strawberries / Grapes
- Sunflower seeds / Diced almonds
- Vidalia (sweet) onions / Green onions
- Berry-based balsamic vinaigrette / Creamy yogurt-based ranch
When it comes to the dressing, feel free to make them naturally sweet and delicious. Don’t stress over the calorie count.