Elderberry-Chaga Spice Tonic
- 5 g of dried Chaga mushroom from New Roots Herbal
- 2–3 inches of fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 10 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon of Elderberry Juice Powder
- ½ cup of water (for dissolving the powder)
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons of honey or maple syrup (or sweetener of your choice)
- Prepare Chaga and Ginger Infusion
- Place the dried chaga mushroom and thinly sliced ginger into a large pot with 10 cups of water.
- Heat the pot on low heat, bringing it to a gentle simmer.
- Allow the infusion to simmer for a minimum of 4–6 hours, and ideally up to 24 hours. Be vigilant to maintain a simmer and avoid boiling, as high heat may compromise the medicinal properties of the chaga.
- As the liquid simmers, it will gradually darken and take on the flavours and beneficial compounds from the chaga and ginger.
- Cool and Strain
- After the desired simmering time, remove the pot from heat and let it cool to room temperature.
- Once cooled, strain the liquid through a fine-mesh strainer or cheesecloth into a clean container to remove any chaga and ginger remnants. You should be left with a chaga and ginger reduction.
- Prepare Elderberry Juice Mixture
- In a cup, combine 1 teaspoon of Elderberry Juice Powder with ½ cup of water. Stir well until the powder is completely dissolved.
- Sweeten and Flavour
- Add 2 teaspoons of lemon juice and 2 teaspoons of honey or maple syrup (or your preferred sweetener) to the elderberry juice mixture. Mix until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add the chaga and ginger reduction until the cup is filled.
- Stir the tonic well to combine all the flavours.
- You can safely store any remaining chaga and ginger reduction in a sealed container within your refrigerator for a period of up to one week.
- You can enjoy this Chaga and Ginger Infused Elixir either hot or cold, depending on your preference.
This tonic is not only a soothing and flavorful beverage but also a potential source of health benefits from Chaga, ginger, elderberry, and honey. It's a delightful way to incorporate natural remedies into your daily routine.