This dish is simple to make and impressive even for your fussiest diner guests. It could become a family favourite in no time.
- 1 very large eggplant, sliced into ½-inch thick rounds
- 3 cups of your favourite marinara sauce
- ½ cup packed fresh parsley, finely chopped
- ½ cup Daiya mozzarella cheese or other favourite vegan cheese, shredded
- ¼–½ cup avocado oil or favourite cooking oil
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup or favourite sticky syrup
- 1–2 Brazil nuts, finely grated or microplaned (optional)
- 1–1½ cups gluten-free bread crumbs (optional)
In one flat-bottom bowl, stir together the oil and maple syrup. Put the bread crumbs in a second flat-bottom bowl. Brush or dip each eggplant round in the oil mixture, then in the bread crumbs, covering all surfaces.
Place the coated rounds on a baking sheet and place in a preheated 450 °F (235 °C) oven for 30 minutes, carefully flipping each over halfway through cooking. After 30 minutes, remove the baking sheet from the oven.
In the bottom of a large glass baking dish, spread about ½ cup of the marinara sauce and then place the eggplant rounds on top of the sauce. Cover the round with 1½ cups of the marinara sauce. Sprinkle with the chopped fresh basil, followed by the remaining sauce. Top evenly with the shredded vegan cheese, followed by a sprinkle of the grated Brazil nuts (if using).
Bake for 15 minutes at 450 °F and serve hot.
Theresa Nicassio, PhD, Psychologist
Theresa is a wellness educator, radio host, and the award-winning author of YUM: Plant-Based Recipes for a Gluten-Free Diet.