Chocolate Banana Maca Muffins
Superfoods and chocolate in the same recipe usually means I can have two in a row and not feel so bad, right? This muffin is made with fermented maca, an adaptogen that has powerful effects on our energy and mood, while promoting the balance of hormones and boosting reproductive health.
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 1 organic free-range egg or ¼ cup applesauce
- 1½ cups Anita’s Gluten Free Baking Flour
- ½ cup Wholesome brand organic brown sugar with molasses
- ½ cup chocolate chips or nut of choice
- ¼ cup organic Dutch cocoa powder
- ¼ cup coconut oil or grass-fed butter
- 1 tsp. New Root Herbal’s Fermented Maca
- 1 tsp. baking soda (no aluminum)
- ½ tsp. organic cinnamon
- ½ tsp. sea or rock salt
- ¼ tsp. organic allspice
Preheat the oven to 350 °F (175 °C). In a small pot, add the coconut oil or grass-fed butter and heat until it becomes liquid. Begin to mash three bananas together with a fork until you get a smooth and creamy consistency.
Add the melted coconut oil as well as the egg or applesauce, and begin blending together. Add the sugar, cinnamon, allspice, maca, and salt, and continue blending.
Lastly; begin sifting the flour and cacao into the bowl, and mix until completely together. Add in your chocolate chips and nuts such as walnut, macadamia, or pecan if desired!
Place in the oven for 30–35 minutes.
Megan Luder, CNP
A Certified Nutritional Practitioner who is passionate about creating and educating on the health benefits of nutrient-dense whole food!