Can supplements play a part in my
Action Plan against Coronavirus?
The coronavirus outbreak is rapidly evolving into the biggest global health crisis of the millennium. It’s understandable how the Coronavirus and its common symptoms which include fever, shortness of breath and chronic cough have impacted global health.
There are plenty of common-sense measures we can take to protect our families; there are also many natural health products that can strengthen our immune systems.
Watch for symptoms
Reported illnesses have ranged from mild symptoms to severe illness and death for confirmed coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases.
The following symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure.
*Information from the article on Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) from
Triple-A COVID-19 Defense
by Guillaume Landry, M.S, Naturopath
COVID-19 (the disease caused by the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2) is a hot
topic in the news and has created a lot of anxiety due to the rapid change
in infection rates and mortality. And the numbers keep changing.
Our approach to managing this high degree of uncertainty is to focus on
what we can control; we call it the “Triple-A Defense.”
1. Awareness 2. Avoidance 3. Action
COVID-19 is an illness caused by a coronavirus. These viruses are
common and are typically associated with mild illness, similar to the
common cold. Most patients with COVID-19 have experienced mild
to severe respiratory illness. Symptoms can include fever, cough, and
shortness of breath. Symptoms may appear 2–14 days after exposure.
Coronaviruses are spread from an infected person through:
- Respiratory droplets from a cough or sneeze
- Close personal contact, such as touching or shaking hands
- Touching something with the virus on it, then touching your eyes,
nose or mouth before washing your hands
There is no vaccine or treatment
to prevent coronaviruses. The
good news is that most people
with common coronavirus illness
will recover on their own.
In the most severe cases, people
with the virus can develop
difficulty breathing and may
ultimately experience organ
failure. Sadly, some cases are fatal.
Given its recency, it is difficult
to estimate how fatal the virus is.
On March 3, 2020, world health
officials stated that globally, the
mortality rate for those infected
with COVID-19 is 3.4%, higher
than previous estimates of
about 2%. This is higher in older
populations and people with
weak immune systems. To give
a perspective, according to the
CDC, on average over the last
10 years, seasonal flu strains
kill about 0.1% of people who
Two great sites to keep updated of the COVID-19 developments are:
Top recommendations to take care of your health and protect our loved ones:
COVID-19 is dangerous for people with a compromised immune system. Maintaining good health and a healthy immune system is always a good idea. Eating a well-balanced diet, getting plenty of sleep, staying physically active, and keeping stress levels in check can help do so. If you require additional support, these natural products can help.
- Build your immune system with vitamin D. It plays a crucial role in activating T cells, the first line of defense of the immune system.
- Strengthen your gut flora with probiotics. A multistrain probiotic can effectively strengthen intestinal flora. The key is to release live active probiotics into the small intestine. Only refrigerated probiotics protected by an enteric coating can effectively do this.
- Harness the antioxidant action of EGCG, the unique plant compound which serves as the driving force behind the antioxidant action of Green Tea.
- Strengthen your immune system with therapeutic mushrooms. They produce various molecules which act on the immune system.
- Vitamin C is a critical compound our bodies can’t produce. It also serves as building block for countless compounds while serving as a cornerstone antioxidant to support immune system function.
- Use quercetin for the maintenance of good health. This antioxidant is strongly supported by research in Canada and China as reported by MacLean’s, CBC, and Radio-Canada.
- Maintain a healthy immune system with astragalus. It is used in herbal medicine. It has many purported health benefits, including immune-boosting.
If you have fever, cough, and difficulty breathing, seek medical care immediately. Calling in advance may allow your health-care provider to quickly direct you to the right health facility. Wearing a medical mask will help stop you from spreading viruses and other infections.
Stay home if you feel unwell. Follow the directions of your local health authority.
Get empowered, minimize your risk, implement your own “Triple-A Defense.”
When you need a little help
Whether it's to strengthen immunity or fight free radicals, our natural health products are there to help
Premium natural supplements, available exclusively at fine natural health-food stores
The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health-care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.
To ensure these products are right for you, always read and follow label instructions.