Perfect for the entire family! The added veggies give these meatballs extra flavour, nutrition, and moisture. You can serve them with your family’s favourite sauce or a tomato sauce and pasta.
- 1 lb ground turkey (or meat of choice, could be beef)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- ½ cup breadcrumbs of choice
- ¼ cup carrot, sliced
- ¼ cup celery, sliced
- ¼ cup zucchini, grated and drained (see directions below)
- ¼ cup onion, sliced
- ¼ cup milk of choice
- ¼ cup parsley
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 °F (190 °C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly grease with some olive oil.
Grate zucchini (¼ cup worth). Place grated zucchini in paper towel or a cloth and squeeze to remove any excess water—this is very important to ensure the meatballs don’t become too moist or watery.
Place the sliced carrot, onion, and celery in the food processor. Blend until they become a grated consistency. Scrape down the sides as needed.
Add all remaining ingredients and blend together until there is a smooth texture.
Take 1–2 tablespoons worth (depending on your desire for size), roll between the palms of your hands into a ball, and place on your greased parchment paper.
Bake for 20–25 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve with warm tomato sauce and enjoy!
- Make sure you blend the veggies, so they are really broken down and all the same size.
- If serving with sauce, simmer in the sauce for a few minutes before serving.
- Can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months (makes for a great make-ahead meal).
Angela Wallace, MSc, RD
A registered dietitian with the College of Dietitians of Ontario, personal trainer, and family-food expert who specializes in women and child nutrition and fitness, she loves helping families get healthy together.