Cajun Seared Portobello and Walnut Bolognaise
This vegetarian bolognaise has a flavour profile that meets at the crossroads of Bologna and New Orleans. It highlights Cajun-seasoned and seared portobello mushrooms in a savoury and naturally sweet walnut bolognaise. It pairs well with non-GMO red-lentil pasta.
· 2 tbsp. red palm fruit oil
· 1 large Spanish onion, diced
· 4 large garlic cloves, slivered
· 3 large Portobello caps, sliced in fine strips
· 1 cup cherry tomatoes
· 2 tins (796 ml) peeled, chopped tomatoes
· 3 tbsp. almond flour
· 3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
· 3 tbsp. honey
· 1 tbsp. Cajun spice
· 1 tbsp. basil (fresh if available)
· 1 tbsp. oregano (fresh if available)
· 1 tbsp. paprika
· freshly ground black pepper and sea salt, to taste
· 1½ cups chopped walnuts
Dust portobello strips with Cajun spice. Sauté onions and garlic with red palm fruit oil in large saucepan for several minutes. Add mushrooms and cherry tomatoes, then continue to sauté at medium heat until mushrooms are no longer firm. Add remaining ingredients except for walnuts. Simmer and stir occasionally for about an hour. Toss in walnuts five minutes before serving. Combine with pasta of your choice and serve.
Gordon Raza, BSc
As the technical writer for Flourish, Gord shares his
unique perspective on natural health products, nutrition,
and active living.